Saturday, July 03, 2010

Independence Day

The Embassy had its biggest event of the year on July 2nd (which, as Ambassador Fulton pointed out in her speech, was the actual date of the Continental Congress voting to sever ties with Britain). National Day receptions are standard big-ticket items on the calendars of every Embassy from every country, and the USA of course is no exception.

It was actually the second such event I've been to; when I was studying in Vienna, I had the opportunity to attend the 4th of July reception in Zagreb, Croatia. But that was as a guest, and this time I was there to work. It's an interesting distinction. There were various food tents that I never visited, being too occupied with my assignment of helping draw people into the party and, when needed, away from the Ambassador (who has to greet hundreds of people as they arrive, so no one can be allowed to monopolize her with a long conversation).

My role was one of the smallest, of course, but from what I could see I think it was a pretty successful event. The first of many!

No comments: