Monday, December 06, 2010

Onward Assignment

Well, it took a while due to the ever-present bureaucratic intricacies, but through whatever combination of skill in navigating those procedural labyrinths and total luck, we ended up finding out where the US Government will need me to go next: Jakarta, Indonesia!

There are lots of things about this assignment that make it very exciting for us. It's a two-year Political tour, so I'll get more experience in my chosen career track. It's in the East Asia/Pacific region, so I'll have an "in" to a bureau where I'll be hoping to serve again in future tours. It's very different from Denmark in any number of ways - the climate, the people, the issues, the size of the Embassy - so I'll learn something new. It starts in July 2012, so I'll get to spend six months learning the language at FSI. It's considered a hardship post, so I'll be able to demonstrate my commitment to serving wherever my talents are needed. And it's surrounded in every direction by amazing places we can't wait to visit!

More details about my transfer and training schedule as I figure them out. Friends and relatives are invited to hang out with us in Bali sometime between July 2012 and July 2014 - start thinking about making a reservation!

No comments: