Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Post Language Officer

Besides my regular job here, I also have an additional role as the Post Language Officer. Each US Embassy and Consulate has a Post Language Program, which supplies language materials and runs courses for the American employees and their families.

Today we started a new class, with a new vendor, which is the culmination of a long process of soliciting bids and selecting a company. Back in February, I had to complete a 40-hour online training course to become a Contracting Officer's Representative, so that I could do my part in creating the RFP and managing the contract. I also submitted a proposal so that FSI would partially fund the program.

I'm pretty excited about the new instructor. Both Bongsu and I will be taking classes, since we didn't get any Danish training before coming here. A little of the local language makes a big difference in being able to do the work. For example, thanks to attending last year's language program I've already conducted a few visa interviews entirely in (very slow, broken, grammatically atrocious) Danish. This year I hope to make even more progress, since my lessons will take place after working hours instead of during the lunch break when the schedule is often touch to maintain.

To myself and to the other participants in the new classes: Held og lykke!

No comments: