Monday, December 15, 2008

Correction on Security Clearance

Since my last post on the security clearance, I found out that apparently I have not been granted an actual clearance, but rather am now in a kind of nebulous state where the investigation required to grant a clearance is finished, but in order to get the actual formal clearance I have to have the job and be sworn in and so on. Just to set the record straight.

The main difference is that if you have a clearance, it remains active for five years before you need to go through an investigation again; whereas this potential clearance thing only lasts for two years - if, for example, I were not to get an offer by then and then take the test over to get back on the register, I would have to go through a new security investigation. That doesn't sound like much fun, so ideally I'll get the call sooner rather than later. :D

3 comments:

Digger said...

One additional slight clarification...though you don't technically have a usable security clearance now, when they renew your clearance, they base the deadline on when your clearance was approved, not when you get sworn in.

Kelsey said...

The whole FS process seems quite complicated.

Consul-At-Arms said...

Clearances have their own logic. Key dates will be that of when the investigation was completed AND when the clearance was approved/adjudicated.